Visit to the Castle in Manzanares el Real

Taking advantage of the good weather prior to Easter Week, we took the kids to visit the Manzanares el Real Castle. It is important to learn about our own history, and there’s nothing better than learning about it by visiting castles like this one, where important stories are stored. 

Taking advantage of the good weather prior to Easter Week, we took the kids to visit the Manzanares el Real Castle. It is important to learn about our own history, and there’s nothing better than learning about it by visiting castles like this one, where important stories are stored. 

 

The construction of the Mendozas’ palace was started in 1475 by the first Duke of the Infantado, Diego Hurtado de Mendoza, who was the first Count of Real de Manzanares and also the first Marquis of Santillana. He received these last two titles for protecting the Kingdom of Navarre from an invasion lead by the Manriques. 

Diego’s brother, the developer of the Castle-Palace, Pedro González de Mendoza, Bishop of Calahorra, was the first big defender of King Henry IV and his daughter Joanna, also known as “la Beltraneja”.

Once Henry reached an agreement with his half-sister, Isabella, to hand over the Crown to her, he dedicated himself to her party and became a Cardinal.  Known as Cardinal Mendoza, he was intimately connected to the Catholic Monarchs. It is because of him that the wall that surrounds the Castle has arrowslits with low relief sculptures of the Cross of the Holy Sepulcher of Jerusalem.

 Note:

The Castle is still owned by the Duke of the Infantado, although the City Hall of Manzanares currently has an agreement for its operation.

The Mendozas are from Mendoza, in present day Alava. There is proof of their presence in battles there since the 11th century. Iñigo López de Mendoza built the Tower of Mendoza at the start of the 13th century. He was present for the battle of Las Navas de Tolosa in 1212 and, because he contributed to the breaking of the barrier of chains, which surrounded the Almohad Muhammad al-Nasir’s store (1199-1213), he added a border of chains to his coat of arms. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *